Once I heard, “if you learn late, pass on the knowledge to someone else early.” When I received her message, I answered her questions and then asked her if I can share both (her message and the answers) publicly so someone else might benefit from it too.
“Hey Rima!! I saw your Instagram feed and I am so inspired by your detail shots! They are so beautiful! How do you get your lighting in such difficult venues so perfect? Every single one! So consistent and glossy. Just beautiful. I have major goals this summer inspired by your sharp images. Totally in love.”
Even if it helps ONE person, I’d feel that this post served its purpose. I’m not a guru but I tried my best to answer with all that I know. Here is my answer to her…
- Know what your equipment can do.
- I upgraded to Canon 5D Mark IV. It is a 30.4 Megapixel full frame camera (5D Mark III is 22.3 Megapixels in case you wonder). It is ahhhhhmazingly SHARP!
- Macro Lens.
- Get close to the main subject, use shorter focal length and lens. For all my detail photos (as well as few of bride’s portraits), I use Canon’s 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. The macro lens is specifically used for tiny-details and its latest results can be seen here.
- High Aperture.
- I use a flash or soft-box with very high aperture for jewelry shots. Most of the jewelry, bouquet, shoes, and/or dress photos I take are between f/4 – f/11. The high aperture will produce great results regardless of the lens.
- Use Flash.
- For ballroom photos, I use On-Camera Flash (600 EX II-RT) but on MANUAL to keep the colors consistent. You might need a battery pack for speedlites because manual mode uses too much battery power.
- External Lights.
- I also use external lights in the ballroom (for details only – not for the family/bride/groom photos in the ballroom). It provides extra lighting and separates the main subject from the background so it pops out in the photos. High aperture makes it easy to edit and the photos end up crisp sharp regardless of the dark venues.
- Light Angles.
- Use flashes/soft-box at different angles so the details, especially diamond jewelry, doesn’t get too many highlights. Place the external source of light on the sides, on top, or behind the main subject to produce exotic photos.
I hope my answer help you create beautiful sharp photos. Feel free to share your own tips/tricks in the comments. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions related to photography. I will try my best to answer. Promise! 🙂
As I finished their portraits and packed the gear for her entrance,
I sneaked a look at them.
He stood close to her.
Holding her close, whispering in her ears.
I got busy again but with a smile on my face. I didn’t need to understand what he was saying. Because her continuous smile and occasional giggles explained it all.
Tahra & Basim’s wedding was celebrated at Al Jawaher RCC, Sharjah. The ballroom and stage/kosha decoration was done by Forever Events. The sweetheart & super talented makeup artist, Ayesha Bahraini, did a remarkable job with Tahra’s makeup. Tahra wore a stunning Hazar Couture‘s bridal gown and carried a Fiore Design‘s bouquet.
Dearest Tahra & Basim,
Not only you both are amazing human-beings but awesome friends too ❤ I feel so fortunate to meet you, witness your love and chemistry, document your wedding day, and more than anything, I’m so grateful to call you both my friends. May you both always stand by each other’s side, fall deeper in love everyday, and continue to smile and giggle together. Forever! Ameen ❤
The night was blooming like flowers do in spring.
The rain of happiness was pouring over every soul present.
Everybody looked pretty. Everybody looked cheerful. Dancing on the stage, joyously, celebrating the union of two beautiful people. Both inside out. Made for each other.
Arwa & Talal’s wedding was celebrated at The Saint Regis, Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi. The stage/kosha decoration was done miraculously by Klassna Events. The hanging cake was one of the highlights. Arwa looked extremely elegant in her custom made bridal gown from Yen Design, Louboutin shoes, and dazzling diamond jewelry.
Dear Arwa & Talal,
Thank you for having me document you first day as husband & wife. A bigger thank you for making the day extremely enjoyable by showing up on time, being ready on time, for your hospitality, smiles, and being absolutely pleasure to work with. I wish you both a lifetime of health, happiness, success, and eternal love.
It was a laughing riot.
From the moment they were stood next to each other in front of the camera, they continued to laugh, together. It was uncontrollable. Adorably delightful. Without a dull moment in between them. From sharing inside-jokes, holding hands, small pecks of kisses on the cheeks, to gazing into each other’s eyes, they seem to be the epitome of love.
Ayesha & Mohamed = Cuteness Overloaded!
Ayesha & Mohamed’s wedding was celebrated at InterContinental Dubai Festival City. The ballroom as well as stage/kosha was decorated by the super talented team of Dream Wedding Services. Ayesha wore a beautiful Esposa bridal dress and carried a bouquet from Dantel Flowers.
My darling Ayesha & Mohamed,
Thank you again and again and again for your friendship, treating me like family, and for all the love ❤ I can’t express how grateful I am for being included in your wedding day festivities, for sharing the laughs with you both, and for watching & documenting your love. I pray to the Almighty that you both continue to fulfill each other’s lives with love, unlimited fun & laughter. Always & Forever, ameen.
Tonssssss of love,
Her deep dimples were all the proof needed for the love to be witnessed in the room.
It felt like the bonfires must have lit,
the angels must have danced,
the doves must have flown,
the hearts must have beat faster,
for every time she smiled, looking at him.
Dana & Saif celebrated their extravagant wedding at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers in Abu Dhabi. The ballroom was stunningly decorated by Tibru Wedding. Dana looked stunning in her white ballroom gown, YSL shoes, and carried a pastel colored bouquet.
Dearest Dana & Saif,
Thank you for having me document your beautiful wedding. I thoroughly enjoyed photographing and capturing your beauty and love. You two make a super cute couple and I pray that you continue to cherish each other. May Allah bestows his bounties, blessings, love, and care upon both of you, always & forever. Ameen!