When I started wedding photography, the thing that I was most scared of was posing the bride & groom. It took me quite sometime to understand things that can make/break the couple’s connection in the photos.
Although I can do several posts on this topic covering different topics on posing, the following are things to consider when posing bride & groom on the wedding day and aiming for natural photos.
- Give your clients time to relax. Strike a conversation by congratulating them. Give them reasons to smile instead of asking them to ‘smile’ or ‘act natural’.
- Explain what’s in store. Clients love this. Tell them how the photoshoot will go by, how much time you need, and what you expect out of the shoot.
- Compliment!!! It assures the couple that they look great and are doing everything right. Compliments are great way to boost confidence and to relax them.
- Be VERY careful with your WORDS! Couples tend to be extra emotional on the day of the wedding. Say things that will make you laugh with them, not at them.
- Give Specific Instructions. Instead of placing their hands where you want it to be, make the couple slide into the pose. “Chin slightly down. Eyes up. Beautiful. Soften the eyes. Show me that ‘I’m sexy & I know it’ smile!” BOOM! There is your gorgeous photo.
- Avoid Awkward Silences. I happen to talk from behind my camera while photographing. All-The-Time! Talking/complimenting while clicking through the bride’s preparations and/or couple’s laughter, produces best natural photos.
- Actions instead of Mannequins. Tell them to walk, talk, or share a joke. A simple statement as “look how beautiful she looks!” can result in amazing smiles and gestures.
I hope this post helps you lead your next photoshoot like a Boss! Don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions regarding wedding photography and I’ll be more than happy to share what I know.
Follow me on Instagram & check my Insta-Stories for some quick tips & tricks, DOs & DON’Ts, and lots of behind the scenes from actual weddings ❤